Friday 5 December 2008

Cyanide - did you know?

Hydrogen cyanide (HCN) is a colorless gas with a faint bitter almond-like odor.

Most people can smell hydrogen cyanide; however, due to an apparent genetic trait, some individuals cannot!!!! (I didn't know that one! Live and learn! Hope nobody is trying to kill me and all my genes are working properly!)

[3] Sodium cyanide and potassium cyanide are both white powders with a bitter almond-like odor in damp air, due to the presence of hydrogen cyanide formed by hydrolysis:

NaCN + H2O → HCN + NaOH
KCN + H2O → HCN + KOH

in Wikipedia

No, I'm not having any suicidal traits... Just one of those things you learn while you're passing out in front of the TV... Cyanide smells like almonds!!! Amazing!!! Beware...... HaHaHaHaHa (just kidding!!!)

Do you smell something?

Now tell me, did you learn anything new today? Then pass it on!

No comments: